These Terms of Service are relevant to NON-COMMERCIAL projects only. For commercial projects, please email me directly.
Quotes, Pricing, and Payment
- Base prices are subject to change without notice; commissions initiated before updates to prices are not affected.
- Given a complete description of a commission idea, a preliminary quote will be provided. Following the Client’s approval of the preliminary quote, preparatory sketchwork begins (except for sketch, experimental, or special commissions). If a Client takes advantage of the pre-payment sketchwork by taking the sketchwork and never following through with the full commission, they may be blacklisted and barred from further commissions until that commission is completed or otherwise resolved.
- The preliminary quote is subject to change during the sketching period, where unforeseeable difficulties and changes in composition may arise. The Client may ONLY request changes be made during this sketch period. If excessive or continuous changes are requested, a down payment may be required before further progress.
- Payment is due when the Client approves of a sketch and a final quote is provided. For commissions under $100, full payment is required prior to the Artist completing the work. For commissions over $100, multiple payments can be arranged.
- Commissions under $100 are nonrefundable once work has been started. For commissions over $100 and done in multiple payments, all payments already received are nonrefundable. If a commission over $100 was paid in full up front, a partial refund can be arranged depending on the amount of work already completed. Regardless of price, if the Artist has already finished all work pertaining to the commission, it is nonrefundable.
- Digital commissions are completed from between 1000×1000 and 2000×2000 pixels and in RBG format by default; this may or may not be suitable for high-quality printing. If the Client would like a 300dpi, print-quality digital image, it needs to be negotiated beforehand for additional fees. CMYK-native images need also be negotiated beforehand.
- The Artist is not responsible for shipped goods after they enter the postal system. Insurance and/or delivery confirmation must be requested and arranged beforehand. Basic tracking is included for domestic shipping.
Contact, Communication, and Cancellation
- The Artist and Client will communicate via email. The Artist will NOT discuss commission work via an instant messaging, journal, or public forum service. Please do not attempt to discuss commission work with the Artist via Twitter, Skype, AIM, deviantART journal, or public forum topics.
- The Artist may refuse service to any Client for any reason.
- At any point during a commission, if the Artist does not receive a needed reply from the Client within two weeks, the commission may be canceled. If payment has already been received in whole or part, full or partial refunds are left to the Artist’s discretion pending eventual contact from the Client within sixty days. Refunds will not be initiated prior to Client contact. After sixty days, no refunds will be considered.
- Estimated turnaround is provided at the time of the first (or only) payment unless a deadline has already been discussed. If unexpected issues arise, the Artist will contact the Client as soon as possible to provide a new estimated completion date. If this becomes excessive, the Client may request a full or partial refund, depending on the amount of work that has already been completed.
- For more intensive commissions, the Artist may provide periodic updates at various steps like lineart, flat colors, shading, background, etc. If a multiple payment plan is arranged, these updates will generally coincide with each partial payment. For smaller commissions, to provide prompter turnaround, no periodic updates are provided unless specifically requested.
- The Artist does not necessarily work on commissions on a first-come, first-serve basis. Smaller commissions may be bumped in front of larger commissions for convenience, and several larger projects may be worked on concurrently.
- The Artist may cancel the commission at any time if the Client is excessively or continuously rude, demanding, childish, or inappropriate. The Client will not be refunded and will be blacklisted.
Content and Subject Matter
- Except for “artistic license” commissions, the Client should already have a general idea of what they want before initiating contact with the Artist. If the Client is unsure about certain details, the Artist can provide suggestions, but the core of the commission should already have been decided.
- Reference pictures and/or photos should be provided by the Client when appropriate. NSFW (Not Safe For Work) links should be marked as such. Supplementary references may be suggested by the Artist if the Artist finds certain details unclear.
- The Artist will NOT handle any sexually explicit, pornographic, or purposely hateful commissions. Non-explicit fetish, artistic nudity, violence, gore, and satirical work will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The Artist reserves the right to refuse any commission for any reason.
Display, Usage and Rights
- Unless otherwise negotiated, the Artist retains all the rights to the artwork (including sketches and concept work), including licensing and reproduction rights.
- The Client retains all rights to their characters.
- The Client may use the artwork for non-commercial, non-promotional purposes. The Client may resize or crop the artwork to create icons, wallpapers, or other graphics, but the Client cannot alter the artwork itself (eg, the Client cannot change the hair color or other features of depicted characters, etc).
- The Artist may display commissioned work on any personal website or gallery, create prints or other products, use commissioned work in promotional materials, etc. If the commissioned work is a time-sensitive gift, the Artist may delay public showcase at the request of the Client.
- If the art is a physical, real media piece and the Client chooses not to receive the original, the Artist may sell it at a later date.